Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the second largest listed company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company.
SBL’s flagship beer brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other beer brands in the portfolio include Serengeti Lite, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (FES), Guinness Smooth and Pilsner. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo internationally renowned spirits brands such as Johnnie Walker, Smirnoff, Gordon’s, Gilbey’s, Bailey’s, and Captain Morgan.
This role will partner with SBL business management and Group functions contributing to the development and achievement of Mission Goals and the delivery of performance.
Primary accountability for Brewing, Bottling, Quality, Logistics, and Distribution of Beer, Spirits and RTDs for the Local market from 3 Breweries located across Tanzania.
Purpose of Role • Provision of expertise to SBL Exec and business. Lead SBL operations and provide relevant thought leadership to meet key strategic objectives and deliver against business targets.
• To manage the effective integration/ interaction between Supply and Demand to enable the business to maximize value.
• To deliver all innovation and renovation effectively to plan whilst continuing to drive down Cost Of Goods Sold (COGS) through an effective and efficient manufacturing and distribution system.
• Support Board and MD in strategic direction setting through timely and complete performance analysis and communication
Strategy • To support SBL in achieving its strategic business objectives
• An experienced leader with a strong track record of delivery ideally in a competitive fast moving environment with an acute focus on performance and results. Highly accountable and determined to win on all fronts
• Able to create and lead the rhythm required to plan and manage supply performance with deep discipline and rigour.
• Numerate and adept at generating insight from a broad range of performance data, but also confident in operating in ambiguity & volatility. Understands the levers that will deliver growth and
• A strong relationship builder across a range of stakeholders. Highly effective in building partnerships with customers and distributors.
• A strategic leader able to make bold strategic choices that deliver for the short and long term for the supply function and contribute to the business strategy as part of the leadership team. Is adept at moving strategy to execution
a) Complexity SBL operates in a competitive environment and in a vast geography.
Manufacturing: 3 Breweries:
• A significant quantity of both packaging and raw materials are imported through an extremely busy port. This requires timely follow up to ensure materials are delivered within the planned lead times.
• In addition, majority of the mainstream and premium spirits brands are also imported from Europe through an intricate supply network.
• Tanzania has a very challenging road network requiring us to partner with third Party Logistics suppliers and Distributors across the country. Warehousing is internally managed at 2 of the three Breweries (Moshi and Mwanza) and managed through one Third Party Logistics provider in Dar es Salaam.
b) Leadership Responsibilities and Decision Making Rights Key Stakeholders
Global & Africa Beer Supply Director, SBL Managing Director, EABL Supply Director, SBL Exec & Global leadership.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities 1. Strategic
• Responsible for total business performance and has decision making authority for performance-related issues.
• Agrees level of required functional resource to achieve performance goals with MD, Function Heads and Diageo Global leadership
• Acting as a key member of the Global & EA Beer Supply leadership team, build effective partnerships with internal stakeholders: SBL Exec, EABL & Global Supply and other supply centres.
• Ensure that the SBL organization deliver its financial targets and performance promise. To generate both the strategy and immediate financial year plans to deliver lower COGS, improving Quality, Service, Environmental Health & Safety whilst acting as a true business partner in the development and delivery of ways of working to provide flexibility, supply solutions and the identification of opportunities and innovation. Improve individual, team and performance in the Supply.
• Deliver operations strategy that supports the 5 Year Global beer Vision, to support the significant growth for all SBL brands, and deliver significant benefit to the overall SBL business.
3. People & capability Development
• Engage, lead and develop people in the business by unlocking their potential.
• Ensure that people are being developed to provide effective succession planning.
• Champion the Inclusion and Diversity agenda both in Supply and also support the same in the organization.
• Develop ‘world class performance’ (for quality, Environmental Health & Safety, service, cost & flexibility) and create opportunities for competitive advantage across SBL and Global Beer‘s brewing and drinks industry. Drive a culture of continuous improvement and knowledge sharing.
4. Sustainability Agenda
• Develop a roadmap to deliver on the sustainability commitments for SBL and as well as Diageo in line with the 2030 Spirit of Progress agenda
• Partner effectively with the Corporate Relations team to elevate the sustainability agenda in the organization.
Qualifications and Experience Required
• Tertiary qualification preferably in a Science, Engineering or a Diploma in brewing.
• Minimum 10 years in Supply Chain Leadership positions in a FMCG environment.
• Good knowledge in brewing, packaging, engineering, quality, logistics, safety and sustainability.
• Proven abilities in delivering performance through people and teams at a senior level. Demonstrated success in building capabilities through High Performance Coaching, Training and Facilitation.
• Culturally aware and able to adapt leadership style in any situation.
• Experience in emerging or developing markets is desirable.
Barriers to Success in Role • Inability to lead teams and build relationships across cultures and in developing markets.
• Inability to build and sustain key relationships at all levels, in particular the interface between Diageo Africa, EABL and SBL
• Personal resilience – able to maintain emotional balance in the face of pressure and high-performance expectation. Inability to partner with demand and commercial functions.